Sometimes, we see often see images showing a sagittal cut of the head to allow people to see the inside of the head. The issue is that there are no term for videos or segments of a video showing the sagittal cut of the head or the inside of the head to show how a tube inserted in the mouth goes inside the mouth and inside the esophagus. Is there a word specific for it, because I can't think of a short idiomatic way of saying it?

For example:

The ____ showed the tube go inside the mouth and down his throat.

  • I don't know if there's a special word for that, but you could always say: The video showed a sagittal view of the tube going inside the mouth and down his throat.
    – J.R.
    Mar 24, 2019 at 18:52
  • In Aboriginal art it's called x-ray style xray-art.com/x-ray-style-art-in-australia
    – Owain
    Mar 24, 2019 at 21:08

3 Answers 3


A traditional term for views representing the interior 'surface' revealed by a plane transecting a three-dimensional is (cross-)section; usually what is shown is an orthogonal section, although perspective or isometric views are also encountered. The section will be specified by the name of the transecting plane: a sagittal, coronal or transverse section in anatomy, a horizontal or vertical section in architecture, &c.


This is not a term specific to medicine or anatomy, but the term cross section is often used in situations where there is either a physical or virtual cut through an object either at right angles to or along some major axis.

If you're talking specifically about a picture or video, whether it's a drawing or the result of some imaging technology, you could call it a cross-sectional view. This term is very commonly used in engineering, but here is an example of cross-sectional view being used to show exactly the interior of the mouth and throat that you're asking about. You'll also see the term sectional view (without the "cross"), which means any slice through the object, whereas the cross-sectional adds the sense of being either along or perpendicular to some major axis.

If your audience is familiar with the term sagittal, then you could call it a sagittal cross-sectional view, where "cross-sectional" indicates the cut through the body, while "sagittal" indicates the specific orientation of that cut.


In static diagrams, such as those used in anatomy books this is often called a 'cut-away" diagram. I am not sure if that term is used in videos, and I doubt that there is a specific term for this one particular view. If there is, I don't know it.

  • 2
    I think the term cutaway is used for something else when it comes to video.
    – J.R.
    Mar 24, 2019 at 18:50

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .