Is there an exact word to describe "Sudden, loud crying / sobbing, with hiccups and gasping for air"?
(To describe someone who woke up crying from a bad dream)

  • What makes the "sudden, loud crying with hiccups" related to "waking up with tears all over your face"? – Tasneem ZH Mar 26 at 6:18
  • @TasneemZh No, not just tears but loud crying or sobbing with audible voice – Bella Swan Mar 26 at 6:22
  • So the word you need is not necessarily related to describing that situation, I assume. – Tasneem ZH Mar 26 at 6:31
  • @TasneemZh no, but I added the example because I had to use the word in that situation. – Bella Swan Mar 26 at 6:35
  • Would high-pitched cry make a good equivalent to your definition? – Tasneem ZH Mar 26 at 6:42

Do you know the word Blubber. This might fit your requirements.

  • Seems like it fits, but I haven't used it, so just to be sure, is it a formal word? Like, formal enough to be used in essays or such? – Bella Swan Mar 26 at 6:55
  • 2
    To me "Blubber" sounds colloquial. Though in Vocabulary.com "blubbering" is shown to have been used by some well known newspapers. – eefar Mar 26 at 7:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.