Let's suppose you are writing a text and the person who is sitting beside you (no matter intentionally or unintentionally) nudges you and makes you cross what you were writing. How a native would normally indicate this happening?

  • He crossed my hand.
  • He made me cross my writing.

In order to make it more tangible I have uploaded an image.enter image description here


British English native here. The word I would use in that situation is to say that the person had jogged me (the verb sense with the one-word summary "push"), or jogged my arm, or my hand. To clarify that this affected my writing, I would say that it messed up my writing.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.