I want to express the meaning that I look like a typical East Asian. Can I say that:

1) I have a (typical) Asian (physical) appearance?
2) I have an Asian look?
3) I have an Asian face?

Or any alternatives to introducing one's ethnicity?

  • An Asian appearance is a neutral way of expressing what you want to say, bearing in mind that Asia is a vast continent whose peoples exhibit a great variety of facial features. – Ronald Sole Apr 8 '19 at 9:40
  • @RonaldSole Oh, yes. Maybe better to be more specific. But I thought it would be abnormal to say An East Asian. – Lerner Zhang Apr 8 '19 at 9:46
  • 1
    At least in Canada, "East Asian" is commonly used. – Canadian Yankee Apr 8 '19 at 11:11

Your "appearance" could include the way you dress, not specifically your face.

Leaving aside any thoughts on whether it is okay to say "Asian" (as I believe some people find it a little non-specific and therefore a generalisation) I would suggest saying:

I have typically Asian features.

| improve this answer | |
  • In this context, in Britain, "Asian" means "South Asian". Maybe we aren't as PC as Americans, but you can safely say "Chinese" here. – Michael Harvey Apr 8 '19 at 11:33
  • @MichaelHarvey Yes, I think more people are offended by the term "oriental". Being white myself I didn't want to comment but would have felt amiss not mentioning it whilst advising someone to say "Asian". Asia covers a large area though, and I'm sure that someone from Thailand does not have identical features to someone from China. It seems a generalisation, but definitely a discussion for another forum. ;) – Astralbee Apr 8 '19 at 11:35
  • 1
    @Astralbee OK. The context is: I was telling a German a story of mine and just used "appearance" but felt I was wrong later. So it doesn't matter for an European to differentiate between Sourth Asian and Chinese in this case. Thanks guys. – Lerner Zhang Apr 8 '19 at 13:35

What you are looking for is countenance, which means "the appearance or expression of someone's face."

You can say, "I am of Asian countenance."

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.