1. That sort of thing is enormously on the increase.
  2. That sort of thing is enormously increasing.

I know that the first sentence is grammatically correct.

Is the second sentence correct too? And if yes, is there a difference of nuance between them?

  • 2
    I would word the second as: That sort of thing is increasing enormously. Your version isn't grammatically incorrect, but I think my version would be preferred more often. – J.R. Apr 4 '14 at 10:12
  • Actually I have seen only your version on the internet, but I worded it purposely this way. – Lucian Sava Apr 4 '14 at 10:25
  • That's a better question. You should expound upon that. – J.R. Apr 4 '14 at 10:45
  • Sorry, not much to expound upon that. I just wanted to learn if worded this way is correct too. – Lucian Sava Apr 4 '14 at 10:52
  • 1
    Not much to expound upon? I left a comment saying, "I would say 'increasing enormously', not 'enormously increasing'." You replied, "I worded it purposely this way." I'm saying that you could have added a note in your question: "I know I can say increasing enormously, but I am specifically wondering about enormously increasing." That would be valuable information, I think, and get more to the heart of the matter. It also would have made this question a more interesting question, in my opinion, and that may have led to more answers or more upvotes. – J.R. Apr 4 '14 at 22:35

I'm not sure about the first sentence of yours. In my opinion, it is not the format frequently used.

About the second sentence, it's what exactly J.R. said.

That sort of thing is increasing enormously.

That's because adverbs of manner (how something happens - here, how is it increasing? Enormously) often go in the end position (that's why J.R. said it's not ungrammatical) BUT adverbs ending in -ly often go in mid-position.

I'll be happily working in my garden.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.