This question already has an answer here:

We have this device broken at work, for several days now. But I do not know how to refer to it.

I can see that tap and faucet are mostly synonyms.

By I have this feeling that they are not 100% interchangeable: sometimes, one is more suitable than the other.

The example tap water vs faucet water might not be the best, since "tap water" is a noun / noun phrase / idiom(atic) in itself.

It might be that one is UK, and the other US English? Or one is a part of the other (guess: a faucet is a part of a tap)?

marked as duplicate by ColleenV Apr 18 at 10:13

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.