The metallic bar that forms like a sort of inclined v, what would you call it. What's the most specific term you can find for it, and what's the most general term (name not related to its function if it's possible) you can find for it? I would like both, because this is a tricky object to describe.


5 Answers 5


It is called a hoist for which the Oxford Dictionary has this entry:


1.1 An apparatus for lifting or raising something.

I have four visits a day, two carers at a time, as the only way they can move me is by using a hoist.

  • This hoist also has a trolley.
    – Dan D.
    Apr 18, 2019 at 19:19

This is a tool used by CNAs/nurses to lift patients. It's called a patient lift.

This specific one is a ceiling lift made by SureHands (aka "Handi-Move")

[Edit] After speaking to several CNA friends, another common name is "hoyer", which is a genericized brand name


Google Image Search says it's a "Handi-Move", which seems to be a manufacturer's brand name, that the thing made of metal tubes is a "body support", and that the motor thing is a ceiling hoist.


We always referred to that as a bariatric lift.

  • 6
    Who is "we"? Are you a member of the medical profession who has used this device in your work? If so, please make that a part of your answer.
    – cobaltduck
    Apr 18, 2019 at 19:44
  • 4
    You don't have to be obese to need a mobility aid like this.
    – alephzero
    Apr 18, 2019 at 20:45

I used to work in a hospital, and would call this a Hoyer lift. Though Hoyer is a brand and the design is somewhat different, I’d guess many nurses and nursing aides would take a look at this and call it a Hoyer lift.

  • 6
    I worked in a steel company. We called it an overhead crane. Apr 19, 2019 at 14:25

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .