JFK was assassinated while he was out on a *.

I am wondering if there's a word for going out on a car for a public celebration, like JFK did before he was assassinated? I am not sure if there's a word for it.

  • 1
    As a general term there is a walkabout in the Oxford Dictionaries and in Merriam-Webster, although it is not by car. Many people gathered to meet the Queen during her walkabout. Apr 19, 2019 at 21:11
  • 1
    @WeatherVane "Walkabout" is a very Australian term, though. and has a pretty specific meaning there. It's possible the definition of the term has broadened and become more widespread, but it's not something I hear in this context.
    – Andrew
    Apr 19, 2019 at 22:41
  • 1
    @Andrew, yes it does seem to have broadened in BrE to cover famous people mingling with the public.I thought it would be a relevant angle though not an actual answer to the question. Apr 19, 2019 at 22:43

1 Answer 1


Probably the best words for this situation would be those below, particularly if combined with "campaign."

Visit (Campaign visit)

Tour (Campaign tour)

Stop (Campaign stop)

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .