In everyday English speech and in casual manner how would you describe an organization or a country which is too chaotic and disorderly, in which everything is in jumbled confusion, nobody is in their rightful place, everything is higgledy-piggledy, everybody has their nose in other's business and wants to work / live in the way they want without observing laws and regulations? In these kinds of communities / societies, enployees / pleple usualy do what they want, due to the lack of proper systematic management!

I have found the following explanation to describe such communities/societies/countries:

  • This organization / country is the wild-wild-west.

Does this sentence sound idiomatic to you? If not, then please let me know how would you name or describe that situation?


"The wild west" is one idiom for it, yes. No doubling of "wild". You could also use plain language rather than idiom and call it anarchic or describe it as anarchy (adjective vs noun, there), or lawless. If it's a matter of disorganisation rather than anything else, such that it is ineffectual or chaotic, you could use the colourful expression shitshow - that implies that someone should be making it orderly or effective, and they have failed to do so.

  • Thank you so much @SamBC for the informative post. Interesting! So, saying either: "In this organization / country, everything is a "shitshow" or "This organization/country is wild-west." would work probabely in this sense? Also please let me know about the case or "Everything in this country/organization is anarchic" too! – A-friend Apr 20 '19 at 16:57
  • Also @SamBC, as I see "shitshow" is vulgar, while although what Im looking for is an informal concept in everyday speech, but it is not considered as vulgarity. Therefore I think, wild west would be the beat term. Do you agree? – A-friend Apr 21 '19 at 9:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.