Is there a word that qualifies a word as having a similar spelling to another word? Let's consider the following example:

Affect is a ___ to effect.

I know homonyms are used to identify words that have similar sounds, but it's not used to identify words with similar spelling.


A homophone is a word that sounds the same as another word, but is spelled differently. Examples are dear and deer, stake and steak, and many others.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.