I am thinking of "post-bachelor", but I am wondering if there's a better word for it. Here's an example:

These post-bachelor courses are only required if you want to complete a master degree.

Could there be a non-composite noun or adjective?


In the US, this would be graduate coursework. Graduate school (sometimes shortened to grad school) refers to programs that grant master's degrees and doctorates.

  • Note that in the UK, the more common term is "postgraduate"; graduate tends not to be used in this way. – Steve Melnikoff Apr 22 '19 at 15:48
  • @SteveMelnikoff Thanks for the info, Steve, edited to reflect that this is a US perspective! – Katy Apr 22 '19 at 15:50
  • Canada is the same as the US. You could say graduate research for research with a prof while a student. Post graduate research / work would be after your Ph.D. (say as in a post-doctoral fellowship position) before you become assistant professor – michael Apr 29 '20 at 2:12

Yes, the term is "graduate school":

A graduate school (sometimes shortened as grad school) is a school that awards advanced academic degrees (i.e. master's and doctoral degrees) with the general requirement that students must have earned a previous undergraduate (bachelor's) degree.

There is often a distinction between graduate school programs, which award Master's and Doctoral degrees, and professional school programs, which award degrees in things like medicine, law, business, engineering, education, etc.

  • The second paragraph is again not true of the UK: all of these Masters and doctoral degrees would be postgraduate. – JeremyC Apr 22 '19 at 21:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.