enter image description here

As you see in the picture, we have 3 mattresses and 2 cracks in the middle that extends from the upper area to the bottom area. What are these cracks called? Is there a specific word for it?

  • 3
    I don't know if there's a word for that gap, but at least in the US, I think what you refer to as "mattresses" would be more likely to be called "cushions"--either sofa cushions or couch cushions. – Katy Apr 24 '19 at 22:53

There is no specific name for this, but things that fall into these cracks are said to be behind, beneath, under, between, in, or underneath the cushions.

If you're ever short of money remember there's always loose change beneath the sofa cushions. Always.

(Edit) If you do search for examples to see which of these might be more prevalent, try not to make your search too specific. For example, I found this headline (among many others) from a search for "beneath the cushions":

Members Find Billions Beneath Pentagon Couch Cushions

this from "under the cushions":

Aretha Franklin's will discovered under couch cushions

and this from "between the cushions":

A Sofa That Encourages You To Lose Things Between the Cushions

Since all these seem to mean more or less the same thing, which you should use depends on which sounds best under the circumstances.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.