How do you mention these types of wounds? Based on my mother language and dictionaries' definitions, the only word which can work here is: "scratch". So I need to know if the following sentences are natural to you:

  • Come on; get up! That's just a small scratch.

Or in a predicative sentence:

  • When I was playing football, fell down and got some scratches on my leg.

Do those bold parts sound idiomatic in English?! Please consider the following images.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    It's called "scrapped"
    – Bella Swan
    Apr 25, 2019 at 10:54

1 Answer 1


That looks like scraped skin.

Scratched skin usually has a pattern of lines, whether done by finger nails, or by some sharp / pointy object (e.g. thorns in a bush, a stray wire...).

Scratch by thorn:

scratched skin by thorn

Scratches by fingernails

scratched skin by fingernails

Note: In the title you wrote "Slightly cutting your body when your skin gets red". Please be aware that "cutting" is not the proper word for any of the pictures on this page, even if it looks somehow similar with a thorn scratch - the main difference being that a cut is a lot deeper and potentially (a lot) more dangerous.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .