What do you call the act of moving sideways by jumping and extending your legs in a V before jumping? By that I mean extending your legs in a V and then putting your legs together while jumping so as to form an I and on and on? Is there a particular name for this? I am thinking there might be one since kids do that a lot.

2 Answers 2


You're thinking of jumping jacks—but you forgot to mention that your arms are also lifted outward in combination with your legs:

: a conditioning exercise performed from a standing position by jumping to a position with legs spread and arms raised and then to the original position
// We did a few jumping jacks to warm up.

jumping jack

Also, you don't normally move from your original position.


I think what you’re describing is a Carioca running drill. It’s like you’re running sideways or skipping sideways. My little brother does that a lot in our apartment and everyday I tell him to stop but you know little kids don’t listen. Anyways, I hope I answered your question.

  • I don't think this is correct, as you never really make a V with your legs while doing a Carioca running drill. This drill is more about the hips and crossing your legs rather than spreading them apart. Nov 5, 2021 at 2:07

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .