What is the difference between the synonymous words: yowl, howl and wail?
Based on dictionaries, these too similar words overlap in meaning as below:
1) If a dog or wolf howls, it makes a long, sad sound
2) to make a loud sound, usually to express pain, sadness, or another strong emotion.
- To make a long, high, unhappy cry, usually when hurt or fighting.
- To make a long, high cry, usually because of pain or sadness.
For instance, I cannot distinguish the following sentences from each other:
- The wolf / dog is yowling.
- The wolf / dog is howling.
The wolf / dog is wailing.
He was yowling in pain.
- He was howling in pain.
- He was wailing in pain.
Please explain me what is your taking on each case?
Meanwhile, please provide me with some examples where each word can be used uniquely so that I could differentiate them.