What do you call a person who often frowns and looks upset or angry?

The only word I found is "Sulky" which when I google it, strikes me as it is a sort of childish term or something!

The other idiom is found I've come accross on this forum is "hatched-faced", which based on definitions is more about facial dimentions; so not at all what I'm looking for.

I was wondering if you could help me with it.


I believe the word you want is surly.

irritably sullen and churlish in mood or manner Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Surly implies irritation/annoyance/frustration in addition to just frowning.

  • Thank you @CrescentSickle; could you please let me know what's wrong with my own suggestions and what is your offer's advangate against mine? – A-friend May 4 '19 at 5:29
  • 1
    @A-friend Sulky is often associated with sadness, depression, guilt, shame, etc. There isn't an aspect of anger or frustration associated with it. As for the other one, I think you mean hatchet-faced, but that's basically never used. In fact, the last time I ever heard it was almost a decade ago in a book where a character was named Hatchet Face. As you stated, the term refers more to facial dimensions than expressing certain emotions. – CrescentSickle May 4 '19 at 18:03

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.