I am looking for a verb that can take a wounded body part as its object. It roughly means "give careful attention to" or "treat (a wounded body part) carefully/gently." Two examples I can think of are "nurse" and "baby." Any alternatives?

  • What's wrong with either nurse or baby that you need something else? – Jason Bassford May 4 at 8:00
  • I've found the word I was looking for. It's "favor," as in "She was favoring her left leg. [=she was walking carefully in a way that showed that her left leg was injured] " But this is from an American dictionary. Do the British or Canadians use it this way? – Apollyon May 4 at 8:05
  • 1
    Oh. You had a specific word in mind that you couldn't remember. Questions like that aren't good fits for this site—because we can't read your mind. – Jason Bassford May 4 at 8:12
  • I was taking potluck; maybe someone thought the word "favor" is common in that context and could quickly mention it. – Apollyon May 4 at 8:16

Look after a wound

Attend a wound


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.