Is there a name for it? Sometimes in films we see most of the body of the main characters talking except maybe the legs. I am wondering if there's a particular word to describe these movie "shots" if we can call them that.

  • 2
    Perhaps, but it would be a technical term in cinematography, rather than a general English word.
    – James K
    Commented May 5, 2019 at 21:09

1 Answer 1


Yes, this is called either the "Medium Wide Shot", the "Cowboy Shot", or the "Medium shot", depending on how much of the legs are shown.. As James K mentions, these are jargon, and not in general use by everyday English speakers -- meaning the average person would have no idea what you mean.

More info for you: The Ultimate Guide to Camera Shots (over 50+ Types of Shots and Angles in Film). See Section 1 for the names of various shot sizes.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .