Is there any technical name for the sand traps in some car races? I mean, those areas covered with soil and designed to prevent a car from hitting a track wall.

1 Answer 1


They are usually actually "gravel traps", and are a type of "run-off area". Theese seem to be the technical terms, but they are quite understandable "gravel filled area to trap run-away cars" and "an area for cars to run off the track into".

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .