I am not sure if there's a word for it, but if there's no word for it what's the next best way to say it, is there a short phrase or something you can think of? I am thinking of a blob of hair arranged in such a way so that it's not messy and attached with something like an elastic band or something else to make sure they don't come apart.

  • What word would you use in your native language? Did you see if there was a translation for it?
    – ColleenV
    Jul 3, 2019 at 16:33
  • blobs are usually liquid or liquid-like or jelly or jelly-like. A blob of wet cement.
    – Lambie
    Jul 4, 2019 at 12:38

4 Answers 4


If you mean a sample of hair that is cut off neatly and bound together on purpose (to be a keepsake, decoration, or lab sample, etc.), I think the word is a "hank" of hair.

"In the drawer were his baby shoes and a hank of golden hair from his first haircut."

  • hank of hair is not English. And hunk of hair is what two dogs might rip out of each other's coats when fighting.
    – Lambie
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:05
  • "a piece of something such as wool or hair tied in a loose way" - definition of "hank" in MacMillan dictionary macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/hank?q=hank+ ...AND...My family uses the word in this way.
    – Lorel C.
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:15
  • It must be very regional. I have never heard it. Generally, people keep strands of hair tied with a ribbon.
    – Lambie
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:18
  • Also, just because you don't know a term doesn't make it "not English"
    – Lorel C.
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:20
  • I've heard hank, it may be a regional. In my opinion lock is more common. Jul 3, 2019 at 15:23

There are many words for different arrangements of hair. I can't tell from the question which one you want, but these are likely options:

  • If all the hair is tied in one bundle hanging down in the back, that's a ponytail.

  • A blob of hair that is hanging together (but probably not tied) is a lock.

  • I'd also suggest a bun, if the hair is gathered in a rounder shape... Jul 3, 2019 at 15:16
  • The question is not about hair arrangements. We do not say blobs of hair hanging together, really not. strands of hair, I cannot stress that enough.
    – Lambie
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:26

Hair that is still on someone's head, and bound together for neatness or style would usually be called a "ponytail". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ponytail

Hair that has been cut off and bound together in order to be kept as a form of keepsake would be called a "lock of hair". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_of_hair

  • `Yes, sure, a lock of hair or a strand of hair.
    – Lambie
    Jul 3, 2019 at 15:44
  • 1
    A strand of hair would be a single hair, not a number of hairs bunched together. Jul 4, 2019 at 7:12
  • Well, you reveal yourself there, I'm afraid. A strand of hair is most definitely not a single hair. And there are tons of ways to "bind" hair for neatness or style: ponytail, pigtail, bun, updo, braids, etc.
    – Lambie
    Jul 4, 2019 at 12:37

Hair is hair.'

Hair has strands. As in:

She had a strand of hair hanging down in her face as she washed the car.

  • (Loose) strands of hair can be held in place with bobby or hair pins.
  • Strands of hair can be held in place with barrettes or clips.

If two dogs or cats fight, they might rip out hunks of each other's hair.

The hair on your shower floor could be called a blob of hair (though that sort of turns the stomach).

hair accessories

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .