enter image description here

By metallic ornaments, I mean the ornaments that's part of the helmet on the far left side of the picture. What do you call them?

  • 1
    I would say Motifs.
    – Cardinal
    May 12, 2019 at 14:42
  • While there may be a technical term used by armor makers in the middle ages, I would doubt there is any general term. Is the a specific term in your language? Have you checked a bilingual dictionary?
    – James K
    May 12, 2019 at 18:35

1 Answer 1


Since I am not aware of any word used solely for this purpose, I'd use one of the following words, depending on the context whether you want to describe a single element or a set of them:

  • As you have named them, the ornaments is a good generic label of decorative elements of art. They might follow a pattern.
  • A motif is a common word used in art and iconography as well.
  • A pattern represents a regular and repetitive arrangement of elements. It might be suitable for most of the armor pieces such as a chain vest is.
  • A decoration is yet another general description of ornaments. This is either used in a lot of museums (see Metropolitan Museum of Art) as well as embellishment.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .