I faintly remember learning a word that means an arbitrary hubbub of things, all the to do, a minor inconvenience, etc., I'm not really sure. I thought it was ca. "carruffel", but that does not exist. Does this ring a bell for anyone?

  • "Kerfluffle" is one version I've seen. But this is a very informal word, so you'll likely see other spellings as well.
    – The Photon
    May 12 '19 at 18:10

From Merriam-Webster's definition of kerfuffle:

plural kerfuffles

: a disturbance or commotion typically caused by a dispute or conflict

// In all the kerfuffle, nobody seemed to have noticed Harry, which suited him perfectly.
— J. K. Rowling

// It's not the only school with dress code issues; almost every week there's a local story about some kerfuffle over what kids wear to school.
— Belinda Luscombe

  • Perhaps worth adding that this (as far as I'm aware) is primarily a British English word, and relatively informal.
    – Muzer
    May 13 '19 at 9:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.