enter image description here

What do you call the protruding backside of a car?

I am referring to the part behind the seats and the black cover of the car in this picture. Is there a particular name for it?

  • 4
    There are a lot of parts behind the seats and black cover: The rear wheelwell, the license plate, the trunk, to spoiler, the back bumper, the tailpipe, and the taillights. Could you be more specific? – J.R. May 17 '19 at 14:04
  • Personally, I don't think it could be more specific. What protrudes in a sedan is the back end of the car, isn't it? – Lambie May 18 '19 at 16:50
  • Seems like OP is actually asking about the "shelf" behind the heads of backseat passengers that is under the back windows and inside the passenger compartment. – Jeremy Nottingham Nov 1 '19 at 11:59

I believe you're talking about the trunk (American English). The back part where you put stuff in such as luggage. enter image description here

Just a quick tip for next time, if you go on Google and select "images" and then write "Car parts names in English" you will see a bunch of car parts with names from ESL websites.

  • 8
    The 'boot' in British English. – Michael Harvey May 17 '19 at 13:03
  • 6
    Well, the trunk/boot is a very specific part of the rear of the car. It's not the whole thing. I would simply call it "the rear." – Robusto May 17 '19 at 13:19
  • 5
    Or the rear end. – Michael Harvey May 17 '19 at 13:40
  • 2
    @Robusto I think it's fair to call it the trunk/boot either way, as this is standard, even though it can be confusing when the actual trunk is in the front. – Andrew May 17 '19 at 14:44
  • 1
    While the rear end of a car is traditionally a trunk, technically in OP's picture, the trunk is in the front of the car. (Porsches have their engine in the rear) ...but colloquially I'm sure you can still call that part the trunk and nobody would really be confused. (See @fluffysheap's answer for a little more on that). – BruceWayne May 17 '19 at 18:45

There is no formal term for this.

"Trunk" (or "boot") is probably what most people would say, but the term only actually refers to the actual baggage compartment and not the region of the car. The particular car in your example is a Porsche Boxster, which has the baggage compartment in the front, and the engine in the back. Even Porsche owners don't know what words to use.

In practice, people will generally understand "trunk"/"boot" to mean what you intend, but it is not technically correct. "Rear" is probably the most correct.


The front end of a car The read end of a car

Here is the front end of new Ford Focus:

front end of the Ford Focus

Rear end of a Mercedes:

read end

I think front end and rear end are generic enough to include the entire portion of a car from the front windows forward and the back windows back (on a sedan for instance).

For me, this is not about trunks and boots, for sedans.

These pictures function as free advertising for these vehicles as they contain the brand names.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.