What do you call the entire mechanical system that makes a bicycle rotate?

enter image description here

This is a bicycle and in the bottom left you have the mechanical system that makes the back wheel rotate. I am not just talking about the pedal, but the whole mechanical system, of which the pedal is just a part. Is there a name for the system (drive chain, pedal, etc.)?

  • Does a word exist for this in your native language? Have you use a bilingual dictionary? – James K May 18 '19 at 14:28

The analogous thing for a car would be called a drivetrain:

the system in a motor vehicle which connects the transmission to the drive axles.

It seems from some googling that this word is also used for bicycles, for example see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicycle_drivetrain_systems

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.