Suppose A and B usually come together. For example 10 units of A and 10 units of B. However, sometimes you may have 15 units of A and 10 units of B.

I want to say that A is in excess .... B. Or there is an excess of A ... B

I don't know how to fill the blanks above. Is it "to", "than"?

  • 3
    The standard preposition would be an excess of A over B, but for your exact context this isn't very natural anyway. Just say there are more of A than [there are of] B. May 31, 2019 at 14:09

1 Answer 1


There is not a single word that does a good job filling either of those blanks. As fumblefingers said, the closest you will probably get is "over" as in

There is an excess of A over B.

But this really does not sound natural. I would recommend you use two or three words; specifically, "relative to" and "with regard to" or "in regard to" work well here:

We have an excess of A relative to B

There is an excess of A with regard to B

Another option is to rearange the sentence a little:

We have A in excess of B

All of these work well for this situation and are precise. In this case, your ratio is 1:1, so it would actually be easier and just as accurate to simply say one is greater than the other:

We have more A than B.

While not correct in a formal manner, this technique would still be a good way to say that you had too much A for B even if the ratio were not 1:1 in many contexts, as the ratio is implied.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .