This question is about the use of "tuition" in AmE.

In America are there "private institutions" [not schools, universities]. So will it be okay to use:

I go for tuition .

What about:

A:"Where do you go for tuitions?"

B: "I go for tuition to X." ("I go to X to get tuition in a particular subject", that is, "I go to X for extra classes)

I am taking tuition in Science. (I am teaching students Science)

I receive (or "being given") tuition in Science. (I have been taking extra classes in Science)

All these are private classes by tutors teaching a group of kids.


tuition refers to payment for school in American English. You pay tuition. The word you want to use here is tutoring (or similar/related forms):

I go for tutoring in science.

I get tutoring in science.

I get science tutoring.

I get tutored in science.

I am tutored in science.

I receive science tutoring.

I have a science tutor.

  • 1
    @FumbleFingers and It’sAboutEnglish - American here- I would only use tuition to mean “school fees/costs/charges” but it is certainly possible that other people would also use tuition to describe what I would call tutoring. I agree that it is not always paid for - you can have “free tuition” if there is no cost to you. – Mixolydian Jun 3 at 16:21
  • 2
    @It’sAboutEnglish yes, from my experience in America, “tutoring” is the act of teaching someone outside of normal school time- usually one-on-one but not always. The person who tutors is a tutor. If you “go for tutoring” to me that can only mean “get tutored by a tutor.” – Mixolydian Jun 3 at 16:26
  • 1
    @It’sAboutEnglish - yes, tutoring is common in America. I see you’re talking about a private class for a group of kids- that would probably still be called “tutoring”- it doesn’t have to be one-on-one. – Mixolydian Jun 3 at 16:34
  • 2
    @FumbleFingers I don't think i have ever seen or heard "tuition" used to mean "teaching" as opposed to "fees for teaching" in US English, although i have read it many times in texts from the UK, and i think Canada. In addition to "tutoring" the phrase "giving private lessons" is used, most often in the context of music or art lessons. When the tutor is highly skilled and reputed, "giving a master class" is a common phrase. – David Siegel Jun 3 at 17:09
  • 1
    @DavidSiegel: Well, if you're telling me this is a US/UK usage split (With Canada sticking up for the UK) then I can't really argue. Certainly Google NGrams seems to be telling me that there's a big difference between the relative prevalence of pay tuition / pay for tuition between US and UK corpuses. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Jun 3 at 17:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.