What do you call the back section of a plane? Usually, the front section is the first class, I am not sure if it has another name, and the back section I have no idea what it's called. Is it called the economy class section? I never boarded a plane, so I am not sure what it's called. I am talking about the section where you can sit as a passenger.

2 Answers 2


The back section of the plane is called the rear of the plane (or tail section), but if you are talking about the section where the non-first-class fliers sit, there are several names for that, including economy class, main cabin, and coach.

It can be a little confusing, because an airplane may only have four rows of first-class seats, meaning that everything from Row 5 to the last row of the plane might all be designated as coach seating, even though Row 5 is much closer to the front of the plane than the rear.

One travel website explains it this way:

Whether you call it coach, standard, main cabin, or “cattle class,” economy is the most basic class. The slightly comfier premium economy offers wider seats and more legroom at a comfier price than business or first class on most airlines. Some airlines categorize economy and premium economy under main cabin.


In English its normally known as the economy cabin.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .