enter image description here

What do you call the circular thing inside a bathtub? In the picture above, it's submerged in the water. What do you call that thing, right below the faucet?

1 Answer 1


That is the tub drain overflow plate, though it's actually above the drain, not the faucet. (The opening in this plate leads to a tube that prevents the tub from overflowing by allowing water to run out even if the drain in the bottom of the tub is stopped.)

  • Sorry, I meant below.
    – Sayaman
    Jun 7, 2019 at 0:08
  • 1
    It's below the spout – the faucets are the things one twists to turn the water on and off, though many native speakers also get that wrong.
    – Nanigashi
    Jun 7, 2019 at 0:09
  • *It is coverd by a hair-strainer in the photo, a device intended to allow water to pass through, but prevent hair from getting into and clogging a drain. Jun 7, 2019 at 0:23
  • Oh, I see! I've never seen a strainer like that and assumed it was a device to intentionally defeat the overflow mechanism. I'll edit that part out of my answer.
    – Nanigashi
    Jun 7, 2019 at 0:30

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .