What do you call a robotic joint that allows a robot to move its arm in any direction unlike the human arm? Is there a name to such joints? I am thinking there might be several types that would allow such freedom of movement, so just pick one.

1 Answer 1


You'd have to show us a technical drawing to know which you mean exactly. One possibility is a universal joint:

enter image description here

This joint allows the joint to fully rotate as it bends, so it can go in any direction. A similar device is a ball-and-socket joint (or just ball joint) which does not allow rotation but does allow the mobile piece to bend in any direction.

enter image description here

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .