Is there some hypernym word (or phrase) for "input" and "output"?

Like "sibling" for "brother" and "sister", or "parent" for "mother" and "father"?

In a context of electric schemes.

  • 1
    The acronym I/O is used a lot... – oerkelens Apr 16 '14 at 16:54
  • Can you give an example for context? I can think of several options that might not be appropriate for all cases. – relaxing Apr 16 '14 at 17:11
  • 1
    I don't know what "electric schemes" means, but input and output are often used to distinguish information travelling in two different directions. So collectively, one could say they're both modes of communication. – FumbleFingers Reinstate Monica Apr 16 '14 at 20:37


From Dictionary of Computer Science

a term used to collectively refer to input and output. Synonym: input/output I/O

However: This term is rarely used. Use other terms that are more specific to your context instead like signal or data.

  • The definition you quote is from input/output... I was really surprised at the existence of transput, but I draw the line at abbreviating it to I/O, honestly. – oerkelens Apr 16 '14 at 17:37
  • @oerkelens Can't find a dictionary that doesn't redirect the term to Input/Output, but it's not that rare. Anyway, I agree that I/O should be used or some specific term like signal or data, whichever fits the context. – Helix Quar Apr 16 '14 at 17:43
  • @oerkelens Found a new source. – Helix Quar Apr 16 '14 at 17:45
  • I've been in the computer business for over 30 years and I've never heard "transput". 'Not saying it isn't a real word, but I think few people would recognize it. You'd have to explain it. Almost anyone who's worked with computers or electronics would recognize I/O. – Jay Apr 16 '14 at 21:01

I would actually think of the commonly used input/output, or I/O .

Transput may be recognized by some, but I can assure you that plenty of people will not immediately grasp its meaning.

I do admit it is not very original :)

  • Yes, +1. And I/O is more widely used than input/output. – xpt Apr 23 '14 at 13:22

In electrical terms, or at least electrical engineering, a proper term is signal.

  • 1
    thanks, good idea; I'd like to accept this answer too (together with transput answer), but I can't accept both – Sasha Nov 14 '15 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.