What's the word for people who pretend and are disguised as a fictional character? For example, there are people who disguise themselves as Spider Man or Han Solo, what do we call these people? I am looking for the noun.

For example:

The kid saw a Han Solo ____ at the new Star Wars theme park in Disney world.

2 Answers 2


It seems that in Disney they are called Characters.

I would also say that the article "the" would be used if you are referring to the only/official one that would be at a Disney Park. But if you were at a comic con and a fan was dressing up as a character, they would be described as "a cosplay Han Solo" (short for costume play) since there are likely many people dressed as Han Solo there.


One common word is impersonator:

[Merriam-Webster, from impersonate]

: to assume or act the character of : PERSONATE

A more recent term is cosplayer:

[Wikipedia, from cosplay]

Cosplay (コスプレ kosupure), a portmanteau of the words costume play, is a performance art in which participants called cosplayers wear costumes and fashion accessories to represent a specific character.


The kid saw a Han Solo impersonator at the new Star Wars theme park in Disney world.
The kid saw a Han Solo cosplayer at the new Star Wars theme park in Disney world.

I get the impression that an impersonator more generally impersonates a real person than a fictional character, but the dictionary definition doesn't support that, and it may just be how I've come to use that word myself.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .