enter image description here

What do you call these corridors that link two buildings? Is there a name for it? I am wondering if it's just called a bridge or if there's a specific name to these types of corridors.

2 Answers 2


That could be called a "skyway". Wikipedia says:

A skyway, skybridge, or skywalk is a type of pedway consisting of an enclosed or covered footbridge between two or more buildings in an urban area.

I found that word by typing "bridge between two buildings" into a search engine.

  • I believe that, from time to time, they have had several names, often invented by the architect! Sky bridge (because it's so far up in the air) or more mundane just link are two that spring to mind. Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 23:47
  • @PeterJ - I've heard them called catwalks, even though that term often refers to open-air (rather than enclosed) footbridges. From Collins: A catwalk is a narrow bridge high in the air, for example between two parts of a tall building, on the outside of a large structure, or over a stage.
    – J.R.
    Commented Jun 15, 2019 at 23:49
  • @J.R. Yes, that's another possibility, but as you say, a catwalk is usually understood to be an open structure, not enclosed. Also often found high above the stage in theatres for the use of the stage hands when working on lights and scenery. Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 0:12
  • 1
    @PeterJ - Yes, but context can cure that. If you and I worked in that building, and I said, "Oh, James works over in the other tower. We'll have to take the catwalk to go see him," you'd probably know what I meant.
    – J.R.
    Commented Jun 16, 2019 at 2:06

The picture shows the Petronas Twin Towers in Malaysia, and they specifically refer to it as the "Skybridge", see https://www.petronastwintowers.com.my/design-and-structures/

A famous bridge connecting 2 buildings in Venice, Italy, is called the "Bridge of Sighs". There's another similar bridge in Cambridge, UK, also called the "Bridge of Sighs". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bridge_of_Sighs_(disambiguation)

I guess it's such a rare architectural feature that there's no generic term for it.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .