Is there an idiom or a phrase that means "he's a talented writer"? I can think of a few way of expressing it, but none of them sound particularly good or idiomatic even. Most of them sounds weird.

For example:

He had a very masterful pen.

He had a very majestic prose.

Not sure if you would agree, but those two sound awkward and weird, and not particularly eloquent.

3 Answers 3


If you're talking about the way he physically writes (ie handwriting, style, etc)

He shows great penmanship


Going off your first example, I would more naturally say that as:

He was a master with a pen OR He was a master with the pen


"Silver tongue" might apply here, but it is more about speaking, but could apply to writing as well.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .