enter image description here

What do you call the main area in an auditorium below the balcony? I am thinking "main floor" or "first floor", but it sounds not specific enough and I think there might be a better word for it. What would you call it?


In a theatre it's called the "stalls". Ref: https://theatre.london/theatre-guide/beginners-guide-sit-theatre/


In theater's that put on musicals or plays it would be called the "Orchestra" Section

2b: the forward section of seats on the main floor of a theater

2c : the main floor of a theater

But, in auditoriums like this one that wouldn't apply since there is no orchestra pit. I am not sure there is a generally accepted word, but there are common terms (including the ones you suggested) such as:

First Floor

Ground Floor (typically only if the main floor is on the same level as the ground)

Main Floor

Lower Level

Bottom Floor

  • I think people would still call it "orchestra." Although venues can name things whatever they want really.
    – Ethan B.
    Jun 27 '19 at 3:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.