enter image description here

What do you call the device that holds your eyes open? What do you call them? Is there a particular word that's used to refer to it? I tried to google it, but I came with absolutely no result.

1 Answer 1


opthalmic speculum or eye speculum



Surgical Eye Specula or Ophthalmic Speculums are used for retracting and holding the eyelid during surgery


and see also


  • Is there a generic word for the thing that holds it into place, like the tips?
    – Sayaman
    Commented Jun 29, 2019 at 13:54
  • "Speculum" is the general medical term for a particular type of device like this, which holds things open or apart. But I don't know how many people would necessarily know that. (Most women have probably encountered a speculum when receiving regular medical exams, but even then I don't know how many would know that it's a more general term that you could use for the eye-opening device also.) Commented Jun 29, 2019 at 20:24

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .