enter image description here

There is a little space between the backrest and cushion of the sofa (where people sit), and things might slip into that little region. So what will be a natural way to describe that?

My things keep slipping into the sofa.

My question is different because the linked question was about "what's the crack called" But my question was about "something fallen into it and expressing that idea naturally... "


3 Answers 3


There are many, many written examples of things being...

lost down the back of the sofa

...and I'd say that's the most common phrasing (unless you're from a social class that sits on settees or couches, in which case substitute your preferred term).

  • When I was a kid, it was the "settee". That, I now find, marks me as no higher than mid-middle class; higher than that, it's "sofa", according to the Daily Mail. Commented Jun 30, 2019 at 15:53
  • And if someone is looking for something, they is this the way it'll be expressed: "I guess it's down the back of the sofa." Commented Jun 30, 2019 at 16:38
  • And what about: "My sunglasses (or sunnies) went down the back of the sofa." Commented Jun 30, 2019 at 16:39

Loose change gets behind or falls behind the cushions. [of a couch or sofa]

behind the cushions

You lose it there or find it there. [horizontal]

Or: stuff gets stuck in the space between the two parts of the back of the couch. [vertical]

I said "loose change" because typically, that's what is found there. It's easy to google.


Brits might say "down the back of a sofa" It is often worth thrusting one's hand down the back (or side) of old sofas and armchairs. I once found some old (1920s) UK bank notes like that. They had a face value of a few pounds only, but they were in collectable condition and I sold them to an antique dealer for about 10 times face value. A good find in 1975. Also you often find coins and such things as tools (e.g. screwdrivers), knives (careful!), table cutlery, pens, etc.

7 Weird Things Found Down the Back of Sofas

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .