What do you call the furniture in front of which a speaker talks? This furniture is also found in university and allows a professor to give a presentation to the class. What do you call this furniture?

  • 1
    One usually speaks from behind a lectern, as in the picture you have included – not from in front of it! It's also worth noting that you will often see/hear a lectern incorrectly referred to as a "podium." (A podium is actually a low platform on which the speaker stands.) In the US, in fact, I think I hear lecterns called "podiums" more often than I hear them called "lecterns," and this usage of "podium" is included in some dictionaries. You should avoid using it but be prepared to encounter it. – Nanigashi Jul 1 '19 at 1:27

It's a lectern usually on a podium.

a tall stand with a sloping top to hold a book or notes, from which someone, typically a preacher or lecturer, can read while standing up.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • 1
    It's a lectern (= place you read from). The speaker is standing on a podium (= place where you stand). – JeremyC Jun 30 '19 at 22:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.