enter image description here

I know that some houses have these things, and it's not called a window, because there's typically no glass, so I was wondering if there was a name for these things. Maybe there's a generic word you can use for them, but I can't think of a single one.

  • 1
    Is it a shutter? Jul 1, 2019 at 17:02
  • maybe? I am not sure.
    – Sayaman
    Jul 1, 2019 at 17:08
  • 1
    We don't really have things like that in Britain, but I'd say it's a type of skylight Jul 1, 2019 at 17:16
  • I think it would be considered a vent.
    – Luck
    Jul 1, 2019 at 19:31
  • What would you call it please? Does a word exist in any language you speak?
    – James K
    Jul 1, 2019 at 20:47

1 Answer 1


If it was like a window in the roof I would probably call it a Skylight or Rooflight. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

If the roof slid open I would probably call it a sliding roof, but again, this isn't the case here.

There is probably a word for it that is borrowed from the culture and language where this house originates, but as I don't know that word I would probably just call it a hinged roof.

  • I am not an expert on the English language and have no formal qualifications in English. I offer my advice only as a native British English speaker. I believe the advice of an untrained English speaker can sometimes be beneficial.
    – RedPython
    Jul 3, 2019 at 22:06

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .