enter image description here

I know that some houses have these things, and it's not called a window, because there's typically no glass, so I was wondering if there was a name for these things. Maybe there's a generic word you can use for them, but I can't think of a single one.

  • 1
    Is it a shutter? Jul 1 '19 at 17:02
  • maybe? I am not sure.
    – blackbird
    Jul 1 '19 at 17:08
  • 1
    We don't really have things like that in Britain, but I'd say it's a type of skylight Jul 1 '19 at 17:16
  • I think it would be considered a vent.
    – Luck
    Jul 1 '19 at 19:31
  • What would you call it please? Does a word exist in any language you speak?
    – James K
    Jul 1 '19 at 20:47

If it was like a window in the roof I would probably call it a Skylight or Rooflight. This doesn't seem to be the case here.

If the roof slid open I would probably call it a sliding roof, but again, this isn't the case here.

There is probably a word for it that is borrowed from the culture and language where this house originates, but as I don't know that word I would probably just call it a hinged roof.

  • I am not an expert on the English language and have no formal qualifications in English. I offer my advice only as a native British English speaker. I believe the advice of an untrained English speaker can sometimes be beneficial.
    – RedPython
    Jul 3 '19 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.