What do you call the software used in airplane that allow the airplane to fly even with a bad shape? I remember there was a name, but I think I forgot it. Does the term apply to other things than airplane? I think modern plane cannot fly without the software.

  • By "even with a bad shape", do you mean "even when it is in bad shape"? autopilot comes to mind but I'm not sure how it handles a damaged airplane. – katatahito Jul 2 '19 at 0:17
  • I think you mean a fly-by-wire system. – Luck Jul 2 '19 at 16:54

I am no expert in aeronautics or aerodynamics but I believe the system you may be referring to is called "Fly-by-wire" or more narrowly "Digital Fly-by-wire" or more accurately a "Digital flight control system"

See this Wikipedia article for more information.

Digital flight control systems enable inherently unstable combat aircraft, such as the Lockheed F-117 Nighthawk and the Northrop Grumman B-2 Spirit flying wing to fly in usable and safe manners.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.