What is the term for the electricity, floor tiles, etc in a house or office? Like, when you can't move in yet because those things are still lacking. Thanks.

1 Answer 1


In the UK at least, the building trade term is finishings although the dictionaries are generally not very supportive of this.

As for the electrical work, that is done in two stages, "first fix" (the hidden work) and "second fix" (the fittings and fixtures).

So you could say

I can't move in because the fittings and fixtures are incomplete.

  • "fixtures and fittings" is the right phrase. I'm not sure about "finishings"
    – James K
    Aug 3, 2019 at 23:59
  • @JamesK the term finishings includes the tiling mentioned in the question. It's used in the building trade. Aug 4, 2019 at 18:12

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .