I am thinking about "in awe", but that doesn't necessarily imply that the eyes are wide open and the mouth is also wide open, so if there's no such word is there a phrase that you can use to convey the same idea? I could only come up with the phrase "their eyes and mouth were wide open" or "the expression where the eyes and the mouth were wide open", which both sounds awful.

  • 1
    I would call that expression "shocked ____". Depending on the emotion causing it, either "shocked amazement", "shocked disbelief", or maybe "shocked horror." – Lorel C. Jul 6 '19 at 20:13
  • But what if the eyes are gouging out? – blackbird Jul 6 '19 at 20:19
  • 1
    Eyes "popping out", or "bugged out"; "gouging" is the monstrous act of digging the eyes out of someone's face (permanently maiming him). I think "shocked amazement", "shocked disbelief", and "shocked horror" would all make your eyes bug out. Oh, yeah, ...: "agog". I think "agog" is the name of your expression.... Well, I still think so, but the dictionary (-ies) don't seem to back me up. They say that "agog" is an emotion, not a facial expression. – Lorel C. Jul 6 '19 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.