I was wondering if there was any difference between those three formulations:

  • PhD student
  • doctoral student
  • doctorand

Plus, in France we have 2 types of doctorates:

I was wondering how to say "CIFRE" in an English document as I didn't find any English wikipedia page for that.

  • Related question, where I don't ask a translation or an English equivalent for CIFRE but if it exists something similar elsewhere academia.stackexchange.com/questions/133145/… – JKHA Jul 9 '19 at 16:03
  • 1
    As far as I know doctorand does not exist as an English word. – Colin Fine Jul 9 '19 at 21:35
  • The answers likely varies from country to country (since education systems and classifications can vary), and is a matter of differences in Academia vs. language. There will be different understandings sometimes for the same terms in a US or UK sense even. – katatahito Jul 10 '19 at 5:58
  • @ColinFine Is this wikipedia page wrong then? en.wiktionary.org/wiki/doctorand – JKHA Jul 10 '19 at 9:37
  • @JKHA: I did say "as far as I know". The OED does list it, and marks it as "frequency band 2", which are "almost exclusively terms which are not part of normal discourse and would be unknown to most people". The iWeb corpus has precisely one hit for "doctorand", which turns out to be an error for "doctor and", as do 51 out of the 52 hits on the "iWeb" corpus (the one which really is the word "doctorand", from peswiki.com, appears to have been written by a Norwegian). So yes, it is an Englsh word that appears in a couple of dictionaries. I have found no instance of its use by a native speaker. – Colin Fine Jul 10 '19 at 15:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.