We normally use these kinds of sentences:

I need something strong or I have to hire someone intelligent.

Here, the words "strong" and "intelligent" modify the nouns something and someone.So,we can call them adjective.My question is can we use those adjectives before something/someone like below:

I need strong something or I have to hire intelligent someone.

if i unable to do that what are the grammatical rules behind these.Please clarify it.


1 Answer 1


Yes, you can do that, but with one qualification. You need to use an article:

I need a strong something.
I have to hire an intelligent someone.

By putting the adjective in front of the pronoun, you end up turning the two words into a noun phrase, and rules for articles in front of nouns take effect. Mass nouns often don't require articles, but neither something nor someone can be considered to be part of a mass noun phrase.

Note that an intelligent someone, while not ungrammatical, is less idiomatic than an intelligent person.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .