Is there a word for the damage women go through during delivery? I am especially thinking about the damage undergone in the private parts. Is there a specific word people use? I thought "damage" was too general and it would be confusing to use it in such a context. Is there any better, more specific word?


1 Answer 1


In (for example) a medical or legal context, "damage" to a living creature or organism can be called injury or, more technically, "trauma" (count or non-count). If it is desired to be specific about the cause or manner of the injury, a prefix may be added: crush injury, stab injury, burn injury. Damage to the genital area caused by passage of a child is usually called "childbirth injury (or trauma)". Types of injury can include vaginal or perineal tearing, bruising, pelvic floor muscle damage, and uterine rupture or prolapse. About 9 out of 10 women suffer perineal tearing. Note that "birth injury (or trauma)" can mean injury to a child inflicted at the time of birth.


Birth injury

Types and causes of common birth injuries to mothers

  • What about stretching? Do all women get birth injuries?
    – Sayaman
    Jul 14, 2019 at 15:57
  • 1
    @blackbird - follow the third link I supplied above for information. Jul 14, 2019 at 19:38

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .