I'd like to know what is the word to describe students under the same advisor in graduate program, e.g. PhD. Students in the same department and/or in the same school year are called classmate.
Several terms are understood
These terms are widely acceptable:
In a medical context (physicians, dentistry, etc.) postgraduates are called:
- ✔️ Yes: Dr. Maroon's residents (definition)
These will also be understandable:
- ✔️ Yes: Dr. Black's dissertation students
- ✔️ Yes: Dr. Orange's Ph.D. students
In a high school context, we called them "advisees", and occasionally referred to an advisee group meeting as "advisory".
- 😐 Maybe: Dr. Smith's advisees
- 😐 Maybe: Dr. Green's advisee group
- 😐 Maybe: Dr. Brown's advisory
- 😐 Maybe: Dr. White's advisory group
Classmate usually means students who are in the same actual class, not just the same department. It can be used for students in the same school year, but usually only when refering to the past, often the far past (10 or more years ago).
I don't know of a specific term for graduate students who have the same advisor, and given that my father and grandfather were both University professors, as was my brother, I think I would know such a term if it existed.