My friend said to me yesterday that "I don't think having superpowers would make my life easier". Why did he use would in that sentence?
It is not future in the past, so why use would?
English Language Learners Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for speakers of other languages learning English. It only takes a minute to sign up.Sign up to join this community
In the OP's example
I don't think having superpowers would make my life easier
could also be expressed as
- used to say what you think someone should do or to ask for someone's opinion about what to do
- If I were you, I would go to the hospital. [=I think that you should go to the hospital]
- I would take the train instead of driving into the city.
- I would turn back if I were you.
- What would you do in my situation?