In mathematical fractions, what is the correct and proper term (in British English in case of more variants) for the horizontal division line between the numerator and the denominator?

What I find in dictionaries is

Fraction line
Fraction stroke

None of these appear in the Oxford Lexico dictionary, though, so I am in doubt. Which is a proper term that is used in English-speaking schools?


In a fraction where the numerator is above a horizontal line, and the denominator below it, the horizontal line is usually called a fraction bar or, occasionally, a vinculum.


  • Be wary of using vinculum, though, as it is more typically used to refer to an over- or underline (for example, in repeating decimals). – Maciej Stachowski Aug 5 '19 at 13:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.