In formal applications it is quite obvious:

Kindly grant me three days of leave and oblige.

Can I write it simply as:

Kindly oblige me with three days of leave.

(As we have the construction--

oblige somebody with something

eg. Could you oblige me with a paper and a pen.)

Anyway, can I use three days' leave instead of three days of leave?

Thank you in anticipation.


1 Answer 1


The first sentence "... and oblige" is not correct. Oblige is being used intransitively, but not in any kind of typical fashion. (In fact, the syntax makes it more like a noun, but that doesn't exist.)

The second version "Kindly oblige me with three days of leave." is correct.

The second version is a bit too formal for me, and for a workplace context. It looks "Wedding invitation polite", and not the sort of thing that is written for a fairly everyday request to HR in a business.

"Three days' leave" is correct. I suspect that few people would actually use the apostrophe there, and say "Three days leave".

A simpler, plainer, less "Wedding-Invitation" would be,

I would like three days' leave.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .