And because diversions scale so easily—after all, who doesn’t want to post selfies on Instagram?—wealth becomes extremely concentrated in fewer hands.
As you know the word Scale as a verb has many meanings:
- to weigh in scales
- to remove the scale or scales from
- to take off in thin layers or scales
- to throw (something, such as a thin, flat stone) so that the edge cuts the air or so that it skips on water
- to attack with or take by means of scaling ladders
- to climb up or reach by means of a ladder
- to reach the highest point of : SURMOUNT
- to arrange in a graduated series
- to measure by or as if by a scale
- to pattern, make, regulate, set, or estimate according to some rate or standard : ADJUST
So, Could you tell me please which one explains the sentence?
The fuller text:
There’s one last component to this harebrained theory that I still haven’t spoken about: inequality. During periods of prosperity, more and more economic growth is driven by diversions. And because diversions scale so easily—after all, who doesn’t want to post selfies on Instagram?—wealth becomes extremely concentrated in fewer hands. This growing wealth disparity then feeds the “revolution of rising expectations.” Everyone feels that their life is supposed to be better, yet it’s not what they expected; it’s not as pain-free as they had hoped. Therefore, they line up on their ideological sides— master moralists over here, slave moralists over there—and they fight.
Additinal note(I added this note and the question below after some people answered the original question):
In other page of his book the author mentions:
Bernays’s political beliefs were appalling. He believed in what I suppose you could call “diet fascism”: same evil authoritarian government but without the unnecessary genocidal calories. Bernays believed that the masses were dangerous and needed to be controlled by a strong centralized state. But he also recognized that bloody totalitarian regimes were not exactly ideal. For him, the new science of marketing offered a way for governments to influence and appease their citizens without the burden of having to maim and torture them left, right, and center. You know, because torture doesn’t scale well.
Does he use two "scale" in the same way?